Thursday, March 17, 2011

It's been a while

It's been a good time since I posted last. I haven't posted largely out of embarassment. The hail mary Jatropha project has fizzled. The information I was supposed to recieve about how to create such a biofuel came in the form of a facebook post, not the complete information package I was expecting. To do the training would require thousands of dollars, and I have yet to see any evidence that the product would be viable, especially at such a remote location. I have been toying with other ideas, but none have come to fruition. I have decided to set my sights lower, something I should have done a long time ago.

I am going for the easiest Peace Corps project imaginable, the World Map Project. It consists of organizing a group of people, getting 70 dollars worth of paint supplies, and spending a weekend painting a map on a wall. I've decided I can't fail at this. Although I've met with the youth group several times about this they remain unmotivated. The only thing that peaks their interest is when I speak of potential camping trips with other PCVs, because they imagine they will get to hit on the American girls. I am fundamentally disappointed, but It's no matter. I have decided to ignore the mantras we were taught during training and prepare to do this project on my own if need be. I figure if I start painting this thing myself, and others see that its more fun what they normally do they may buy into it. Worst case scenario, I'm out 70 bucks, but at least the community knows what the world looks like outside of Cape Verde.

I had some of my neighbors over to play darts today, and that was a nice relief.

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck TG! World Map is a great project - and I'm sure you'll have an audience in no time. From my experience it will def take you more than a weekend... it was easier than I expected (but I also expected it to be really hard). No one wants a crooked map painted on their wall... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your spirits up brotha! I would say that a map of the world is a far more important contribution than the Jatropha- I might ask you to do one for me if it turns out well :)
    We miss you out west bro-
    Love, Ryan

    ReplyDelete

Dartboard Appreciation

Dartboard Appreciation
At long last the dartboard is up