Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Ribeira Alta Biofuel Adventure

Okay,
So I've been doing these dailies, like the turtle stuff, interpreting, and helping farmers weed and such, but that's not really where my heart is at. I've been really setting my sights on this thing me and the Association leader from Ribeira Alta, so here goes;

Ribeira Alta is a tiny isolated village west of Cha de Igreja. It does not have road access and is a gruelling two hour hike from the nearest road. It is so isolated that makes Cha De Igreja look like St. Louis in terms of accessability. While for a couple months during the year the sea is calm enough to cut the travel time down with boat access, most transportation of goods and people involves a donkey at some point. There are about 200 inhabitants who live in the sheer cliffsides of the valley. The primary industry in Ribeira Alta is remittances and agriculture. The agriculture is principally sugarcane for making "grog" liquor and cassava.

The town has some fishing potential, and raises a fair amount of livestock as well. Unfortunately, these industries are of limited viability because of the electricity situation in the village. Ribeira Alta is not part of the electrical grid of Santo Antao, due to its location. Diesel fuel is provided by the local government to be put into the town's generator. However, this allows the village to have electricity for only 4 hours a day. Generally from 18:00 to 22:00. Furthermore the village is dependent on expensive imported fossil fuel.

The leader of the development association of Ribeira Alta, Cesario, has spoken with me about the solution to this problem. In Ribeira Alta's cliffsides, the Jatropha Curcas plant grows abundantly. The Jatropha plant's seeds, once processed, produce a biodiesel fuel capable of being used in the village generator. Cesario intends to refurbish an abandoned wellhouse and transform it into a miniature biofuel plant. My goal is to help Cesario realize this goal. We have met a number of times on this subject, and its success is my new all-consuming passion. I intend to help Ribeira Alta not only get the training and machinery necessary for this project, but also help encourage the locals to take advantage of the abundant unused lands to cultivate Jatropha on a small scale. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bud-

    Glad to hear about your new biodiesel fuel project-very cool. What a vital addition to their everyday lives you will bring with this (sorry for the Yoda-esque nature of this sentence). One question I have is how often does the Jatropha plant go to seed? And how easy is it to harvest? Does it have a pretty rapid maturation/reproduction cycle-ie is this a sustainable source?

    This sounds like a pretty cool thing to be a part of-congrats my brotha!

    Keep us posted and do your best,
    Love,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I found it. I was in CV in January... some Peace Corps folks in Praia told me about your project. I decided to track down your blog and find this link about this guy who is doing something similar in Mali: http://www.malifolkecenter.org/lowersection/jatropha%20conference/mfc_jatropha_conference.html

    I recommend that you contact them about technical assistance. I hope this helps and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

Dartboard Appreciation

Dartboard Appreciation
At long last the dartboard is up